Writing good content is one of the key ranking factors for Search Engine Optimisation. Quality content that people are searching for will improve your ranking on Google.
There are now 4 billion users of the internet and 1.8 billion websites!
To get attention to your website, you need to ensure your writing good content that is unique and its quality is attractive to visitors.
90% of the data on the internet has been created since 2016, according to an IBM Marketing Cloud study. People, businesses, and devices have all become data factories that are pumping out incredible amounts of information to the web each day. There is a lot of competition for most niches online, so you need to ensure what your doing maximises the return.
Tips for Writing Good Content
1. Know your audience
Before you start writing, it’s crucial that you know who your audience is, and what they are looking for.
Instead of guessing what your audience need / want, I recommend that you make data-driven decision by doing industry research and competitor analysis.
Sounds complicated? It really isn’t. Below are two of my free favorites:
Google Trends – a free tool by Google which tracks search trends. Shows how frequently a given search term is entered into Google’s search engine relative to the site’s total search volume over a given period of time.
Quora – great resource to find questions folks in your industry are asking.
Once you know what people are searching for, you can ensure what you write meets visitors needs. Keyword analysis with search volume analytics is one of the SEO options Web Clare provides.
2. Content Title
Keyword or search term should be included in the title of your post/page. Review top performing posts/pages by your competitors globally.
The title also has to grab the visitors attention. Boring or non-descript titles will be passed by.
This is why your post/page title is crucial for the success of that content.
3. Content Structure
Ensure your content is over 300 words and ideally over 2000 (longer content ranks better in Google) . Don’t just write a few lines and hope it’ll do.
Headings 1-6 have 2 benefits.
- Search Engines see headings as crucial bits of information as to what the content is about.
- People use headings to jump to sections of interest after skimming a page. Online there is nothing worse than a full paragraph page with no breaks.
Here are some tips that I use to write bullet points that people will actually read:
- Express clear benefit. Think of bullets as mini-headlines.
- Keep your bullets symmetrical. 1-2 lines each.
- Avoid bullet clutter. Don’t write paragraphs in bullets.
- Remember bullets are not sentences. They’re just like headlines.
Human brain processes visual content a lot faster than text based content. That’s why adding captivating images can help boost your engagement.
Ensure your images are named suitably and their alternative image text is populated. Search Engines and Users with disabilities require this.
4. Optimise your content for SEO
Google organic search drives a huge chunk of the traffic for most websites.
If you want to maximize your SEO ranking, then I highly recommend that you optimize your blog post for important SEO ranking factors. A free plugin tool such as Yoast or All in One SEO can help guide you.
Optimise your content for SEO Tips:
- Add proper Meta Title
- Add proper Meta Description
- Optimize for Focus Keyword
- Use related keyword variation
- Add image alt attribute
- Interlink your content
5. Share your content on Social Media
Make sure you benefit from all the effort in gathering the information. Share across the various platforms to see where your customers respond. Google counts social interactions with posts as part of their ranking strategy. Its important to ensure you get your posts in front of the correct audience.
I would also recommend sharing to Google My Business. When people find you by searching for Local SEO, your post is shown to them.
6. Add Call to Action
And the last but also the most important tip is to add a clear call-to-action.
Whether it is to ask your readers to leave a comment, share your blog post, follow you on social media, or purchase your product, make sure you clearly state what you’d like them to do.
A good call-to-action is something that’s easily distinguishable and stands out.
For example, if you like this post, then I’d really love it if you can share it on Twitter and Facebook.
Content Idea Tips
Think about what you search for and the way you like it presented to you. Show your expertise in your area by sharing knowledge.
Excellent starting points for top content tips are:
- How to do – people are always looking up how to do varies methods – share your knowlege – i.e 5 Simple Steps to Maintain a Powerful Brand Voice
- Top tips – visitors are looking for the quickest way – help them out – i.e. top resturaunts to eat in Galway, top places to visit along Wild Atlantic Way on the Clare coast, Top Ranking Factors for Local SEO
- Compare X to Y – which product/service is better than another i.e. Bunratty Castle in Clare compared to Kings Johns Castle in Limerick
- Compile a comprehensive list of industry statistics and research. These types of posts are great for getting inbound links.
- Write a top 100+ post ona relevant topic in your niche.
- Write a post predicting trends in your niche or industry i.e. Top 15 SEO Tips for 2018 (written early Jan 2018)
- Create a beginners guide with helpful, actionable information & tips. i.e. Beginners Guide to Twitter
- What is a problem that your target customer has? Present a solution.
- Can you walk your audience through a process, step by step?
- Create a list of the top 10 things you wish you knew when you started.
- Is there a new product you can review?
- Make a Myth vs. Fact post.
- Share a product update.
- Share a company update
- Frequently Asked Questions
Writing good content isn’t difficult, but does take time. Follow the steps outlined above which I have summarised here :
- Start with a few ideas and research them.
- Find out if they meet popular searches suitable for your audience
- Spend the time researching and writing the content.
- Review and adjust your content and structure for SEO.
- Publish your content and share on social media and newsletters.
- Ensure there is a clear call to action for visitors.